Thursday, July 19, 2007

in the bag(s)

Q: What all do you take? A: Here's a list of everything I took on this trip: BICYCLE rear rack rear panniers rain covers for bags handlebar bag cyclometer (tells distance, mph, average speed, fastest speed, cumulative miles, time elapsed, and time) water bottle cages (3) water bottles (3) tire pump - about 8 inches long straps with buckles (to strap the sleeping bag to my rack) lock - this is a first for me... I've always used my eyes for a lock CAMPING tent/rain fly/poles stakes sleeping bag sleeping bag liner (sometimes I sleep on top of the bag and use the liner for a blanket) compression bag (makes the sleeping bag smaller/more portable) sleeping pad - inflatable flashlight pillow - inflatable MISCELLANEOUS adhesive tape playing cards - I don't really have a reason to take this. I can play solitaire, among other games, on my PDA. I think the only reason I take it on all of my trips is the fact that it's the only item which has been with me on every single one of my trips. It's a tiny deck, not much bigger than 3 inches by 2 inches. stamps emergency information card maps money/traveler's checks notebook pens swiss army knife wallet ziploc bags hand cleaner garbage bags (for dirty laundry - clothes are toxic after riding all day!) earplugs sewing kit CLOTHING cycling gloves cycling shoes flip-flops - for the evening and in the shower hat - used for covering up "helmet hair," though now my hair is so short I don't really need it helmet (cheaper than neurosurgery) bandana (2) - useful for everything! t-shirts (4) cycling shorts (4) socks (4 pair) long sleeve shirt head cover - for cold days, it fits under a helmet headband - actually an earband, it keeps ears warm on cold days underwear (3) cargo pants - the legs zip off so they can be used as long pants or short pants rain jacket/pants windbreaker sweatshirt sunglasses watch TOOLS/SPARE PARTS pliers tire tools allen wrenches chain tool spoke wrench screwdrivers, both slothead and phillips pedal wrenches lubricant spare tire spare tube freehub remover pocket vise spare chain links 3 spare cables: 1)rear brake 2)rear derailleur 3)transverse cable spare spokes patch kit HYGIENE/FIRST AID bandaids antibacterial cream ibuprofen acetaminophen dental floss toothbrush toothpaste detergent insect repellent sunscreen - SPF50 chapstick soap shampoo toilet paper camp towel razor blades shaving cream mirror ELECTRONICS pocket PC extra battery pocket PC recharger cellphone cellphone recharger camera camera charger iPod Shuffle Shuffle charger ear buds extra SD card for the camera and PC SD card reader - so I can transfer pictures to the blog while I'm on the road Taking all of the electronic stuff is sort of new for me, and I almost feel like I'm "cheating" somehow. Maybe it's because I'm not really "getting away from it all" if I have a cellphone.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

Too bad you don't have a picture of all the items you were carrying on your bike all lined out on the ground after our CA trip. It gives people an idea of how much can amazingly fit in those pannier bags, seat bag, handlebar bag and on top of your bike rack. Kind of like Houdini. It REALLY DOES FIT on the bike!! haha